Here are some great drink ideas for your Cinco de Mayo celebration, and even though it is not really Mexico's Independence Day, it is still a great reason to have a party. You see contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is actually celebrated on September 16.
It is a big day of partying in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride and a huge outdoor party at Chevy's in Clifton.
We love Mexico and will celebrate with friends at home with takeout from Taqueria Autentica. Here are some great drinks compliments of Citlalic Peralta of Formula PR Inc. we will try.
El Jimador Cinco Punch
- 1 Bottle El Jimador Blanco
- 1 Bottle Prosecco
- 4 oz Aperol (if you can’t find Aperol Campari is a good substitute)
- 1.5 Liters Pink Grapefruit Juice
- 750ml Honey Syrup
Garnish: Pommegrante seeds, raspberries lime and pink grapefruit discs for garnish
Glass: Punch bowl + serving Glasses
- The best sort of ice for punches is lump or block ice, one of the best ways of creating block ice is to fill a balloon with water, tie it off and place in a bowl in the freezer the night before. Block ice reduces the dilution and keeps a punch much colder longer.
- Locate the punch bowl where you intend to serve from then add ingredients as it will be heavy to move
- Place Ice carefully into the punch bowl
- Add all liquid ingredients and stir gently but thoroughly
- Garnish with raspberries, pommegrante seeds, lime discs, pink grapefruit discs
Bohemia Chipotle Michelada
2 fresh lime wedges, cut in half
Chipotle rimming salt, see recipe below
1 tablespoon Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce or 1 teaspoon pureed canned chipotles en adobo
6 ounces chilled Bohemia beer
Garnish: 1 slice cucumber, for garnish
1. Use a piece of the lime wedge to wet the rim of a tall glass with lime. Dip the rim of the glass into the chipotle rimming salt.
2. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lime pieces into the glass and then add the lime pieces. Stir in the chipotle hot sauce or pureed chipotles in adobo. Fill the glass with ice.
3.Pour in the Bohemia beer. Mix gently. Garnish glass rim with a cucumber slice. Serve.
Chipotle rimming salt: Thoroughly mix 2 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt and 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chile powder in a small bowl. Pour out onto a small plate to use for rimming beer glasses.
- 2oz Herradura Silver
- ¾ oz Lime Juice
- ¾ oz Agave Nectar
Garnish: Lime Disc and Salt rim
- Place all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and fill with cubed Ice.
- Shake well and fine strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime disc.
Tecate Bottle or can
1 Bottle or Can of Tecate
- Keep the beer fresh in an ice bucket
- Squeeze the lime inside the bottle or can and enjoy.